swallowtail butterfly chasing a house martin!

• 2 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
swallowtail butterfly chasing a house martin!
« on: July 06, 2012, 05:05:50 PM »
Yesterday in my garden, there were several swallowtails about as usual. Occassionally, they chase each other, sometimes as part of the mating ritual. But one chased a house martin! It was only for a few seconds, or perhaps 20 yards, but nonetheless! I can't imagine it was fooled into thinking the martin was a swallowtail of the opposite sex. So perhaps it was chasing it away?

Also, the swallowtails in my garden are very keen on Crithmum maritimum (rock samphire) for laying eggs on. There are a few more standard umbellifers about, but I have not seen the swallowtails take much interest in them. We don't have much fennel (giant or otherwise) in the area.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John J

Re: swallowtail butterfly chasing a house martin!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 07:40:53 PM »
Mike, take a look at 'What is it about Verbena bonariensis?' in this same Wildlife grouping.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 11:00:30 AM by Alisdair »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: swallowtail butterfly chasing a house martin!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 07:35:18 AM »
Oh yes - thanks for that, John.
With all our skinks, geckos, agamas and Sardinian/Cyprus warblers, I wouldn't be surprised if any of 'my' swallowtail caterpillars (or eggs) succumb to predators before they get to that size.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England