What is this tree? ID'd by Oron as Morus alba 'Platanifolia'

• 7 Replies

ritamax

What is this tree? ID'd by Oron as Morus alba 'Platanifolia'
« on: August 15, 2012, 05:15:52 PM »
I don't know this tree, which I saw on the beach in southern France, but it looked very drought and heat tolerant, lush green.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 07:58:06 AM by Alisdair »
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise

Miriam

Re: What is this tree?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 08:16:39 PM »
Looks like Platanus orientalis.
agronomist from Rehovot, Israel

ritamax

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 09:53:10 PM »
Thanks a lot! I have never seen that one, seemed very useful for the climate in Banyuls-sur-mer, hot and dry.
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 05:59:44 AM »
Well, it is similar to Platanus but it is a Mulberry, Morus alba 'Platanifolia'.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 07:57:24 AM by Alisdair »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

HansA

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 08:16:52 AM »
Here Morus alba 'Fruitless' is a common tree used specially in public areas - it makes a very nice shadow and as it is fruitless it does not produce spots. The Leaveform is very variable.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 08:21:08 AM by HansA »
bulbgrower on the balearic islands, spain
landscape architect

ritamax

Re: What is this tree? ID'd by Oron as Morus alba 'Platanifolia'
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 04:14:28 PM »
Thank you! That would be a good option, as I read, that the fruit stains a lot. Do you have an idea, who delivers this variety in Spain? There are no nurseries around my region, who have it, I am pretty sure.

HansA

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 09:18:22 PM »
On Mallorca you can buy Morus alba 'Fruitless' nearly in every larger nursery - so I think it should be able to find it in a local nursery in your area, if not they should be able to order it for you - so you should get a nice tree for not too much money.
bulbgrower on the balearic islands, spain
landscape architect

ritamax

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 12:25:52 PM »
Thank you, I will ask if they can order, I am a bit suspicious ordering online, if I don't know the company. The problem with the nurseries in my arid region is, that they have a very small variety of very young trees, mostly Schinus molle, Jacaranda, Tipuana tipu and Chorisia speciosa. The quality is mostly not good, the trees are dried up in small plastic containers. Perhaps due to the high water-prices.