Eremurus

• 3 Replies

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
Eremurus
« on: October 23, 2013, 10:06:38 AM »
Hello all,

Does anyone have any experience with Eremurus in a "proper" mediterranean climate? My experience so far is very limited - I tried a couple of small and very sad-looking tubers a few years back, but they were mail order and had got stuck somewhere in transit between the UK and Portugal (it was during one of the snowy spells), thus were probably moribund before they entered the ground - they certainly never sprouted.

This year, a client came back from holidays in the UK with a HUUUUGE root of Eremurus 'Joanna' that exceeded a metre in span (see picture) and we have planted it in her sandy garden near Sintra. They get a good deal more rain and humidity than we have in the south, so I'm not too worried, but I am curious to know if I have any chance with them in the Algarve. What say you?

Many thanks.
I work in hotel and private gardens, promoting sustainable landscape management in the mediterranean climate through the use of diverse, beautiful and appropriate plants. At home, I garden on two balconies containing mostly succulents.

Miriam

Re: Eremurus
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 07:57:22 PM »
You need to put it in the refrigerator for , at least, 4 months becasuse Eremurus needs cold winter in order to induce flowering.
Last year I received 10 tubers of Eremurus but only one sprouted but did not flower, maybe because last winter here in Israel was not cold enough.
agronomist from Rehovot, Israel

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 10:36:06 PM »
Hi Miriam,
Thanks for the reply. That is another factor that will definitely not be available naturally in the Algarve. I think I will have to forget it until I have my climate controlled greenhouse! As for the one in Sintra, they also do not have much cold, but perhaps it will be enough.
I work in hotel and private gardens, promoting sustainable landscape management in the mediterranean climate through the use of diverse, beautiful and appropriate plants. At home, I garden on two balconies containing mostly succulents.

Chantal

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 09:36:48 AM »
Hi Marylin,

My answer is late, but I don't find the time to look at all these subjects on our forum. This one is particularly interesting for me, because I tried too planting eremurus coming from my previous garden close to Paris. And I planted 3 bulbs in a semi-shaded bed with watering during summer. I only had them flowered once perhaps 4 years ago. Since then, they are dying each year after each year. this spring I only had one rosette of foliage. Law de Jaeger (from Bulb'Argence) came and visited me 3 years ago and told me I should plant them in my mediterranean bed on top of the small hill and in sunshine, never watered even in summer. And it was worst. The foliage has almost disappeared and I don't even know if they are allways under the ground. So, it is a complete failure. I can't understand why I got a nice flowering season only once. Here, in Montpellier, we have cold in winter, I can tell you. -4°C  several nights in november.
Chantal Guiraud
Montpellier-France
MGS Seed Coordinator

"The flowers of spring are winter's dreams told in the morning at the table of the angels" (Khalil Gibran)