Cistuses IDd as x skanbergii and laurifolius by Marilyn and Helena

• 7 Replies

pamela

Could someone help me identify these two Cistus in my garden which I got from Pepiniere Filippi about 3 years ago.  The first one could be Cistus x dansereaui 'Portmeirion' and the second could be either Cistus populifolius,
Cistus laurifolius subsp. atlanticus
Cistus laurifolius
or Cistus x aguilari
I have been pondering this for ages and cannot get a definitive anser on the web.
The second one has never flowered because the buds get eaten of every year by what insect I do not know but its very frustrating.Hope someone can help.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 08:17:49 AM by Alisdair »
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
Re: Cistus Identification please
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 11:33:51 AM »
Hi Pamela,

The flower of the first one looks very like Cistus x skanbergii, which I know Filippi supplies, but without seeing its habit I would be loath to give a definite ID. Do you have any photos of the complete shrub?

The second, as you say, is very difficult without seeing the flowers; there are so many crosses. From the leaf it looks like it has populifolius and ladanifer blood in it... Look for a blotch in the flower, if and when one appears, which would confirm this hypothesis.
I work in hotel and private gardens, promoting sustainable landscape management in the mediterranean climate through the use of diverse, beautiful and appropriate plants. At home, I garden on two balconies containing mostly succulents.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 05:00:48 PM »
Pamela suggest you go direct to Olivier especially if he supplied them: olivier.filippi@wanadoo.fr
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 10:27:08 AM »
Pamela, the second looks exactly like the C. laurifolius we've been growing for some years and I'd go with the Cxskanbergii too.
I garden and have a wholesale hardy cyclamen nursery in south east England. Also garden on the Mani peninsular in southern Greece and to a lesser extent in south-west France. Am an MGS and Cyclamen Society member, and have been involved with the journal for the latter for nigh on 20 years.

pamela

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 07:32:14 PM »
Thanks so much Helena... puzzle resolved!

pamela

Cistus ID confirmation please
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 02:24:20 PM »
Helena suggested last year that this Cistus I have (which had always had its buds eaten and so never flowered)  was  C. laurifolius. Now I have a flower at last.....can you confirm this is correct, thanks

Speedy

Re: Cistus ID confirmation please
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 07:46:27 AM »
Yes,
 it looks just like my Cistus laurifolius plants.
my bees love to harvest resin/balsum from the stems of this plant (and other 'gummy' species of Cistus)when the weather is warm.
I think they use it to make propolis.
320mm rainfall- winter dominant
high max temp 46.9 degC 
 av mean max temp 23.8degC
Low min temp -5.2 degC 
av mean min temp 9.3 degC
65-70m asl
300km inland
sandy loam over clay with limestone nodules below the surface

pamela

Re: Cistus ID confirmation please
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 06:04:54 PM »