Invasive plants

• 18 Replies

Jill S

Re: Invasive plants
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 04:41:24 PM »
I was wondering if you couldn't treat them as annuals, in a pot, on a stone flooring and removing the seed pods (do the seed capsuals explode like Euphorbia? if so then it's no-no) It might be worth a try.
Member of RHS and MGS. Gardens in Surrey, UK and, whenever I get the chance, on Paros, Greece where the learning curve is not the only thing that's steep.

Alice

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 06:23:41 PM »
In pots in the UK - I think that would be the solution. Thanks, Jill.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 08:39:20 AM »
The seed pods don't explode but the seeds are biggish and round and roll into crannies where it's really hard to get the plants out once they germinate.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Hilary

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2019, 07:06:29 AM »
Invasive or escapees
Posts about invasive plants are scattered around the Forum so I adding my bit here
Three  escapee  plants seen in the Mani Peloponnese
Carpobrotus edulis in Gerolimenas next to a derelict house.
Lantana camara in Gerolimenas next to a ruined stone wall
Zantedeschia aethiopicus in New Oitylo by the road side outside a hotel wall, there were many of these plants growing in the garden of the hotel
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care