Guess what this is 16: NOW SOLVED

• 32 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Guess what this is 16
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2012, 12:31:58 PM »
Geranium naming does seem to be an absolute minefield. When the RHS did a trial a few years ago they commented that quite a few of the cultivars or "species" submitted were wrongly named.
Will you accept G. malviflorum, John?
Interestingly, though The Plant List does say one or two alleged subspecies of this are in fact synonyms for G. tuberosum (whereas it says that all "malvifoliums" are synonyms for tuberosum), the main practical difference between G. malviflorum and G. tuberosum at least in the wild is that malviflorum flowers are supposed to be purple, as opposed to pink for tuberosum. But evidently most of the plants offered by nurserymen as malviflorum seem to have pink flowers!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2012, 01:43:53 PM »
As they are probably all within the same ball park yes but I have it as Geranium macrostylum 'Talish' which I got from Janis Ruksans.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2012, 02:32:11 PM »
Thanks, John! G. macrostylum is apparently accepted as a species (yet again including in it as synonyms some forms of tuberosum...)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society