Guess what this is 16: NOW SOLVED

• 32 Replies

John

Guess what this is 16: NOW SOLVED
« on: October 02, 2011, 10:47:43 PM »
As 15 went so quickly try this one.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 02:32:46 PM by Alisdair »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

JTh

• Email
Re: Guess what this is 16
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 01:55:45 PM »
Looks like beetroot, but I'm sure they are not. I see something budding from the corms (?)
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
Cyclamen?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 02:20:21 PM »
T.a.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

John

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 06:20:05 PM »
No to cyclamen and no to T. a. whatever that might be!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 08:42:07 PM »
Did you  keep last year's potatoes to long?

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 08:52:52 PM »
Hallow`een or Quatermass.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

John

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 11:36:40 PM »
It's not impossible that these are edible but I wouldn't risk it!
John

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 12:22:50 PM »
Anemone?
Doesn't look wrinkly enough to go with my recollection, but the ones in the photo are obviously turgid ready for growth.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 11:10:41 PM »
No and no!
John

John

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 11:26:10 PM »
Not a big clue but they are small, about 10 mm across and they are a close relative of Tropaeolum!
John

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 07:10:13 AM »
Trophaeum peregrinum?
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 08:56:58 AM »
No sorry not that close. Move further away!
John

JTh

• Email
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 11:55:58 AM »
Do they belong to the order Brassicales? If so, then there a more than 3000 species to choose from.