yellow flower IDd by Oron as Gagea peduncularis

• 5 Replies

Ina

• Email
yellow flower IDd by Oron as Gagea peduncularis
« on: March 29, 2012, 05:13:49 PM »
I am really bad when it comes to plant identifiacation and I feel rather stupid. I saw this yellow flower and I think it is a Romulea but then I thought that it could be a Gagea too.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 09:53:08 AM by Alisdair »
I live in the west of Greece and have a small garden. I love flowers but I have few in my garden. I usually take pictures of flowers when I hike. I started making a blog with the flora that I see on my trips.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: yellow flower
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 07:09:44 PM »
Looks like a Gagea, but all I'd dare say is that it's not G. graeca! (As that's white, whereas all the other species in Greece have yellow flowers and are very difficult to tell apart, even if you have the bulb to look at as well.)
Perhaps Oron will have a magical insight....
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

gertrude

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 01:31:50 PM »
I think that the plant is Gagea lutea,  we have many flowering in the mountains here in Italy.  A picture showing the  the leaves would help greatly.
Pete and Jan retired to le Marche, Italy 20 years ago for a quiet,  sunny life.  Gardening here was a challenge, but we now have a wonderful garden, with an eclectric selection of plants,  including many wild  flowers and orchids of which we are found of.

Ina

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 04:53:43 PM »
and here are the leaves, i hope you can make something out.. i thought that the petals are slender in G. lutea...
I live in the west of Greece and have a small garden. I love flowers but I have few in my garden. I usually take pictures of flowers when I hike. I started making a blog with the flora that I see on my trips.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 08:33:10 AM »
I would say Gagea peduncularis.
Gagea lutea is a much robust plant with wide leaves.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Ina

• Email
Re: yellow flower IDd by Oron as Gagea peduncularis
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 04:19:08 PM »
thanks oron!!!