A stranger among my "African" plants: Hilary suggests Hura crepitans

• 4 Replies

GRJoe

• Email
Dear MGS members, I used to be a regular visitor in this Forum in 2012. I came back from DR Congo and I brought with me a number of seeds and cuttings that are happily growing on my veranda: Bauhinia tomentosa, a climbing Bauhinia, Eugenia, a columnar Hibiscus, Hedychium, Gotu Kola...
Among them there's this stranger (photo). It could come from a seed I collected in DRC or from the compost I bought here (?). Some characteristics:
- each new leaf has grown larger than the precedent;
- the alternate leaves have 2 green thin stipules;
- the whole plant is pubescent, except the upper part of the leaf.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 09:53:30 AM by Alisdair »
Joe Breidi
Occasional gardening and garden design wherever possible! Currently living in Puglia, Italy. Special interest in dry climate gardening, and in preserving wildlife.

Hilary

Re: A stranger among my "African" plants
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 04:02:24 PM »
Hi Joe,
I am no expert but have spent a happy half hour looking through my Tropical Plants book trying to find something which would match your plant.
The Sandbox Tree did look interesting. You wouldn't want it exploding on your verander!
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

GRJoe

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 06:55:56 PM »
Dear Hilary, first of all thank you a lot!
Now that I think about it... could my "stranger" be this monster of a plant?!!
There was a huge Sandbox tree in a residential area of Kinshasa/DRC, and I would alert friends with kids about the lethal seeds that laid in the grass (3 seeds can kill an adult... or so I had read).

The leaf shape and its venation are indeed identical; however, the "hair" looks different, unless they change with time and/or age.
Also I am not sure the Sandbox tree (Hura crepitans) have stipules.

Photos: a) close up of the apical bud, now splitting into 5 radial buds...
           b) photo of a Sandbox tree (Hura crepitans... what a name!) I took while in Bangadi/DRC I think.
Joe Breidi
Occasional gardening and garden design wherever possible! Currently living in Puglia, Italy. Special interest in dry climate gardening, and in preserving wildlife.

GRJoe

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 07:03:12 PM »
... a large specimen in Congo (Bangadi, 2010)
not particularly attractive... and dangerous!
Joe Breidi

GRJoe

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 06:03:39 PM »
I can distinguish tiny apical glands on the petioles... a fact that now leaves little doubt it's a Hura. I am afraid you were right, Hilary :-\
Joe Breidi