Fatsia japonica

• 4 Replies

ritamax

Fatsia japonica
« on: November 28, 2012, 04:15:01 PM »
Do you have experience with Fatsia japonica? Does it need a lot of water? I saw this one last week in Huerto del Cura garden in Elche, pretty winter flowering.
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Fatsia japonica
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 04:34:59 PM »
I have grown it in England. It may even have been the first plant I grew in my own (as opposed to Mum & Dad's) garden. I stuck a pruning in a big tub of water and in due course was amazed at how well it rooted in there. Subsequently, it followed me from garden to garden until I moved to Cyprus. In England, I used to find the frost wrecked the flowers, but the stems and leaves were quite cold-tolerant (leaves could get 'burned' at tips/edges).
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

pamela

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 08:20:25 PM »
Hello Rita
To help you,   I grow both Schefflera actinophylla and Fatsia japonica here in the northern Costa Blanca.  I would say however in my opinion that they both need shade.  Mine are very successful and thriving under huge mature Pinus halepensis......  
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 09:44:18 PM »
I do not think I can remember Fatsia growing in the Med Basin.  It really does best in a temperate climate.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

ritamax

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 11:15:11 AM »
Thanks for the informations! In Elche they had these beautiful Fatsia shrubs in dappled shade under the palm trees.
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise