Unlabelled Iris in my pond ID'd by Miriam as Iris louisiana 'Black Gamecock'

• 4 Replies

Pauline

It burst into flower today, so I took a quick snap lest the gales shred it before I get the chance. The colour is so dark as to be almost black, and that reddening of the centre petals is accurate. It came unlabelled - does anyone know which Iris it is? If any more info might help, please ask me.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 05:33:34 PM by Alisdair »
An amateur and a complete novice in mediterranean stuff, attempting to establish a garden in Andros, Cyclades, Greece. We're about 45m above sea level. Steep learning curve? Vertical straight line.

Hilary

Re: Unlabelled Iris in my pond
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 05:14:01 PM »
What ever it is it is lovely.
Wind still blowing here.
Everything which blew over three times during the winter have blown over again
There must be some message there.!
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Miriam

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 09:47:39 PM »
It is Iris louisiana 'Black Gamecock'
agronomist from Rehovot, Israel

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 12:17:07 AM »
It looks very much like an Iris that I once saw and photographed in "La Mortella" garden in Ischia.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Pauline

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 07:28:28 AM »
Thank you.

Miriam, that was my tentative ID of it too. The irony of it: I ordered laevigata and ensata and got just this one, which is neither. But it is indeed lovely, so I'm happy to settle for it.

I can't wait to see how the water lilies turn out (one unlabelled, one labelled Nymphaea pink).

An amateur and a complete novice in mediterranean stuff, attempting to establish a garden in Andros, Cyclades, Greece. We're about 45m above sea level. Steep learning curve? Vertical straight line.