Gentian confirmed as Gentianella columnae

• 2 Replies

gertrude

Gentian confirmed as Gentianella columnae
« on: November 13, 2015, 09:24:29 PM »
Can someone confirm which Gentian this is?  I believe it to be Gentiana columnae?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 11:47:46 AM by Alisdair »
Pete and Jan retired to le Marche, Italy 20 years ago for a quiet,  sunny life.  Gardening here was a challenge, but we now have a wonderful garden, with an eclectric selection of plants,  including many wild  flowers and orchids of which we are found of.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Gentian
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 11:47:12 AM »
Lovely photos, "Gertrude", and you're right, it's Gentianella columnae which I think is endemic to Italy.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

gertrude

Re: Gentian confirmed as Gentianella columnae
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 06:16:35 PM »
Thanks Alistair,  we were very surprised to see this flowering at this time of the year and so prolific.  Mostly they were growing on the gravel banks of the mountain water run off areas. 
I couldn't find this in my Mediterranean Wild Flowers book,  by Marjorie Blamey and Christopher Grey-Wilson., which is quoted as a 'complete guide .....'  because according to them,  Gentian don't grow in hot regions such as the mediterranean!!  On investigation in other books I find that, as we all know, they do indeed grow in the Med.  I can also confirm this as have seen several types in our local mountains.
Pete and Jan retired to le Marche, Italy 20 years ago for a quiet,  sunny life.  Gardening here was a challenge, but we now have a wonderful garden, with an eclectric selection of plants,  including many wild  flowers and orchids of which we are found of.