Plant seen at Harlow Carr, Yorkshire ID'd by Oron as Salvia viridis

• 6 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Does anybody know what this plant is and how to grow it? The one with the blue leaves at the top of the stem. I only noticed the little flowers now as I was cropping the picture. Seems the leaves are green while the plant is in flower. At first I thought the leaves had been sprayed or had soaked up a dye or something. Rather like those artificially blue roses people sell on the streets here in Rome.  I saw this plant at the end of September.  

Will it take to Rome summer temperatures? I confess to taking a few seeds which I sowed only last Sunday. Already 3 or 4 seedlings are through despite low night temperatures of around 4°C

Any help gratefully received  :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 11:17:45 AM by Alisdair »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Trevor Australis

Re: Plant seen at Harlow Carr, Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 05:16:11 AM »
Looks like Salvia sclerea to me. It may not go through a Roman winter as it is usually treated as a summer annual. If you cam cosset the seedlings through the winter somewhere bright and not frosty indoors you may be able to plant them out in Spring. tn
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Daisy

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 07:12:46 AM »
 Salvia sclarea seems to be described as a biennial or short lived perennial.
I sowed some last year and they grew and coloured up well.
They didn't grow as tall as they had for me in England.
How long lived they would be I don't know, because as soon as it became hot, they became unsightly and I pulled them up.
They are fine for a short term, spring/early summer display, but they don't like the heat.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 07:33:00 AM »
I would say Salvia viridis ('Blue Denim'); look at the small bicolored flowers which are typical to this species.
S. sclarea has a different structure of the brachts and much larger white flowers.
Attached a photo of S. sclarea i took last year in Kazakhstan.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 07:40:30 AM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 07:47:48 AM »
Will it take to Rome summer temperatures? I confess to taking a few seeds which I sowed only last Sunday. Already 3 or 4 seedlings are through despite low night temperatures of around 4°C
Any help gratefully received  :)

David,
Salvia viridis is an annual originated to the Mediterranean, meaning it germinate in early winter and flowers in spring. It dries compleetly during summer, therefore not sutible for the summer temperatures nor humidity in Rome.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 07:50:30 AM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Daisy

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 07:58:07 AM »
Oron is right. The seeds I sowed last year were bought as Salvia horminium.
The seed company, (don't remember which one), gave it's synonyms as viridis and sclarea.
But sclarea is a different plant.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Plant seen at Harlow Carr, Yorkshire ID'd by Oron as Salvia viridis
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 12:05:17 PM »
Thanks very much for your replies. Very helpful. I will grow these and take seed as soon as it is ripe so that I will be able to have some each year. Let's see what happens in summer.

Thanks again. I knew I could rely on you all.   :)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.