Tibouchina

• 4 Replies

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Tibouchina
« on: May 06, 2012, 07:06:40 PM »
Oh! I've bought loads of Aloe vera from Lidl but they suffer in the winter cold and have never flowered - not even this year when my other aloes are blooming like crazy. This week Lidl had Tibouchina  which I bought. I believe you grow it in Cyprus, John. Any tips?
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

John J

Tibouchina
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 04:32:48 AM »
Fleur, sorry but I've never grown Tibouchina and don't recall seeing others growing them. I believe they are 'semi-tropical' so if you are concerned about the cold then that might be a problem area. You may have to provide some protection in the winter.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Tibouchina
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 08:02:05 AM »
When we lived in London I grew a plant of Tibouchina urvilleana outside, but sprawling up against a heated greenhouse. In that position it did tolerate the (very light) frosts we had. But it certainly wouldn't take significant frost. And it needs plenty of water.
It's a big genus and there may be some species from higher altitudes, but really they're all tropical or at best sub-tropical and I doubt if any are suited to Mediterranean conditions.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Tibouchina
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 08:37:13 AM »
Tibouchina urvilleana is what it is I think. I've lusted after it ever since we saw them in California in 2001- those velvety leaves are what attract me. I'll try them in pots and put them in the greenhouse in winter.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 10:27:45 AM by Alisdair »
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Tibouchina
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 10:27:25 AM »
It's very easy to propagate from cuttings (I grew mine from seed that we'd collected in Ecuador, presumably from an escapee as it's not a native of there).
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society