Plants for heavy clay soil?

• 11 Replies

ritamax

Plants for heavy clay soil?
« on: February 15, 2012, 06:23:31 PM »
I need to plant some trees and shrubs and haven't found any plant listing for my needs: Costa Blanca South, very dry, heavy clay soil with sand and rocks, near salinas and 600m from seaside, not too windy because of the cypress hedging. I am able to improve the soil only a little, the work is just too hard! There are existing ficuses and yuccas, which do well. I need some fastgroing smallish or middlesized trees and shrubs for shade! I have inherited an overhead watering system from the previous owner (who had a lawn, which is now out!), obviously not the best solution. After the planting I will probably get someone to come in and water once a week or so as I am still an absentee gardener. Appreciate any advice!!!
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise

pamela

Re: Plants for heavy clay soil?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 07:35:05 PM »
Hello! This is a list of shrubs/trees/succulents that grow well on our totally terrible soil.  In Javea we are not as dry as you are but Lantana camara,Tecomaria capensis,Teucrium fruiticans,Westringia fruticosa, Pistacia lentiscus.Pittosporum tobira,Casuarina cunninghamiana,Schinus molle, Schinus terebinthifolius,Arbutus unedo,Punica granatum,Diospyros kaki, Eriobotrya japonica , Acca sellowiana ,Phillyrea media, Rhamnus cathartica,Aloe arborescens, Kalanchoe beharensis all do well.
But they all have to be on water for the first 3 summers.  Let me know if you need other ideas.

Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 09:54:22 PM »
From what I've read, overhead irrigation is not generally advised. It is wasteful in terms of spray in the wind and being poorly targetted at the plants' roots. It may also create a suitable microenvironment on leaves for some non-beneficial fungi, though it may also help wash off the summer dust.
Roses do well on clay, and in some quite dry places, though I'm not sure how they would like an environment seasoned with salt.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

ritamax

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 08:43:18 PM »
Thank you so much, for the advice!!! I am just back from Orihuela Costa and planted Teucrium, Tecomaria capensis, Schinus molle, Aloe arborescens, Pistacea lentiscus. The other plants you adviced were not to be found, the garden centers here are not very good, the plant selection narrow and the plants very dry. In addition to those mentioned I planted Rhapiolepsis, Callistemon, Metrosideros, Ceanothus, Coronilla, Polygala and Grevillea adding a lot of compost and composted manure. I have some lantana camaras in the garden from the previous owner, but they look quite awful, very dry, leaves light green and brown. I pruned them back hardly (to 50 cm), I don't know if it was the right thing to do, must wait now what happens! The bougainvilleas look also completely dried out, I left them as they are, what would be the best procedure?
Yes, I know that the overhead irrigation is no good, but before the I have the trees, shrubs and the flower beds in place, I am not able to change the system. I am having someone to come in and water deeply once a week in addition to the irrigation. I haven't seen roses here, but I have roses in Basel, Switzerland, where they thrive ideally! Good gardening for you!
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise

ezeiza

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 12:41:00 AM »
And Campsis radicans, which is a Nr. 1 garden plant.

GRJoe

• Email
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 02:54:08 PM »
Dear Ritamax, how is the Lantana growing back since March?
I would think that the soil in your Costa Blanca garden is highly alkaline. Before adding expensive fertilizers/compost, I think balancing the pH level of the soil is a better long-term measure because minerals are present but just "locked" because of inappropriate pH level.
What plants grow well in the neighborhood? This should constitute a reliable indicator of what to select for your garden.

re. Campsis, i used to confuse with Tecoma capensis... until I realised the prodigy of Campsis as climber (see photo with dry palm tree stip completely covered). j
Joe Breidi
Occasional gardening and garden design wherever possible! Currently living in Puglia, Italy. Special interest in dry climate gardening, and in preserving wildlife.

ritamax

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 06:02:09 PM »
Wonderful photo! So you need a lot of space for Campsis!
The lantanas have come back, but I am a bit perplex should I dig them out after seeing them on all the worst invasives' list. The soil and also the tap water must be very alkaline, you can see a lot of yellow leaved plants in the area (citrus, hibiscus). Here is photo of the soil at the nearest beach, it is hard as rock, stony, sandy, claye and has a reddish colouring. How would you balance the pH?

GRJoe

• Email
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 07:54:34 PM »
I am not familiar with Campsis, but it sounds interesting and promising. With its strong wall-clinging roots, I am afraid it needs frequent maintenance lest it becomes too dominant.
Please, don't haste by removing your lantana. It is indeed invasive in tropical climates yes, but I doubt it will invade the south of Spain: it is the "Dr. Jeckill and Mr. Hide" of horticulture world... but it shall behave rather like Mr. Hide in your garden.
"A way to reduce the alkalinity of soil is to add acidifying fertilizers such as sulphate of ammonia or a compound ericaceous feed. Another way is to incorporate an acidifying material, such as flowers of sulphur or sulphur powder." Well, all this is a little theory from my notes... I am also interested in hearing others on their practical experience with pH balancing.
Joe Breidi
Occasional gardening and garden design wherever possible! Currently living in Puglia, Italy. Special interest in dry climate gardening, and in preserving wildlife.

ritamax

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 10:15:47 AM »
The problem with a vigorous climber like Campsis is, that it would run to neighbour's garden, as I am not there to prune it regularly. I wish to find a climber which stays just some 3 meters long.
Lantana is in fact everywhere, inspite the drought. Looks very dry and brown in the late summer, but comes obviously back. But it is true, that it doesn't grow huge and you can prune it easily. In our corner the gardens are either watered or have stones and succulents like agave, aloe, crassula, kalanchoe, aeonium, euphorbium candelabra. Oleanders look good all year round. Plants like bougainvillea and tecomaria look dry in the late summer.
I asked about the pH as there are I guess different methods of measuring that, but in my garden the soil is in some places the original top soil and in many other places improved.
yet.http://www.morganhorse.co.uk/care/flowers-of-sulphur  This is what I found about Flowers of Sulphur, sounds a very intriguing product, never heard of it before.
There are always a lot of dry cypress needles under the hedge, they are acid, perhaps one could use them, too.

GRJoe

• Email
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »
Oups, excuse my lack of English literacy... I meant to compare your Lantana to Dr. Jeckyll, not Mr. Hyde  ;)
Campsis looks too vigorous to be left home-alone! Jasmine officinale comes to mind... it is so much typical of mediterranean climate, and it is not demanding. But to stay in the orange tunes, there is also Pyrostegia venusta?
Thank you for the link: well, I see "flower of sulfur" can be used to eradicate ant nests; also its application should be renewed annually or so. Two reasons that make me less keen on using this in the garden  :(
You raise an interesting point: I never thought of using pine needles to lowering the pH level. 
Joe Breidi

JTh

• Email
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 07:48:26 PM »
I should wish my Campsis was more rampant than it is, I planted it several years ago, hoping that  it would cover an ugly fence, but it has barely survived so far and has not grown much at all. My neighbour (200 m from us)is trying to get rid of it, there it grows just like I would wanted mine, it is not fair!     
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

ritamax

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 10:31:56 PM »
Perhaps Campsis and Pyrostegia need more water, than we can provide, to grow really well? I think I will go for Jasminum officinalis, as it seems to be very moderate in growth. Perhaps I can use the flowers in green tea to make my own jasmin tea. A neighbour in Spain has a beautiful, very rampant and completely drought tolerant climber Bignonia ricasoleana hanging on a Schinus molle. That one needs space.