MGS Facebook page , Greek Private Garden in summer, today

• 2 Replies

Joanna Savage

MGS Facebook page , Greek Private Garden in summer, today
« on: July 15, 2015, 06:49:54 PM »
Congratulations to the designer and maker of this garden. It was cheering to see how well it looks in mid summer. Here in Toscana we have had a run of ten days with max temps of about 37 degrees and there is at least another week of the same ahead. The Buxus plants in the garden here are a sorry sight. Even those which are eight or ten years old are giving up the ghost. It seems most likely that they were already affected by a disease and the dry hot conditions have hastened their demise. As I have at least twenty plants, there must be a drastic rethink of the garden design, so that is why it was cheering to see the lentiskus in the facebook post.
May I ask the gardener whether the lentiskus is pruned every year. Also do a lot of 'weeds' appear between the lentiskus  and the grey leaved shrubs in spring?

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: MGS Facebook page , Greek Private Garden in summer, today
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 08:24:57 AM »
Joanna, Thanks very much for your kind comments! I and my wife Helena "designed" it, if you can call our fiddling with Nature designing, and we do all the gardening with occasional local help for heavy jobs, and for monthly watering in summer for newly planted non-native plants in their first year.
As we are there only for a "planting fortnight" in autumn, then a visit in mid-winter and one or with luck two visits in spring, it has to be minimum care. So yes, there are weeds between shrubs, which are mostly short-lived annuals. The only weeds we try to keep on top of are some of the prickliest perennials, and above all the big clump-forming grasses - I really enjoy "clumping" with a mattock!
We didn't originally prune the lentisks regularly but are now trying to do that (one of Helena's many fortes), and we find that makes a huge difference to the general appearance.
The grey-leaved shrubs are mostly local sages. If we've time do take off their old flowering shoots in autumn (or summer, but we're hardly ever there then - too hot for us if not the plants). Mostly we let them grow and grow; they do get too big or sprawling eventually and then we just take them out entirely.
We take off the ptilostemon seed heads when we've time (rare) as they self-seed everywhere otherwise.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Joanna Savage

Re: MGS Facebook page , Greek Private Garden in summer, today
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 01:48:26 PM »
Alisdair, thank you for all that helpful advice. I had thought it was your garden but then, the mention of Lynne below the photo made me wonder if it was Lynne's garden. The lentisks on your photo look gloriously green for this time  of year. So I intend to do some serious shopping at the Lucca Murabilia in September , for lentisk, Myrtus communis, Phlomis and the like.