Help with id please - Koelreuteria paniculata by Oron

• 5 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Help with id please - Koelreuteria paniculata by Oron
« on: September 13, 2014, 05:06:41 PM »
Saw this small ornamental tree lining a street in Rome. I have no idea what the flowers are like but they obviously come in large clusters as there were clusters of 15 - 20 "fruits" together. Each one about 2 inches long. Fruits in inverted commas because they are really 3 papery bracts containing 3 seeds, one attached to each bract. Unfortunately, I didn't have a camera with me to take a photo of the tree. But you can get some idea of the leaf from the half of a leaf I brought home with the seeds. Very dried and shrivelled, I'm afraid  :(

As always, grateful for any help :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 09:26:12 AM by Alisdair »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Help with id please
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 05:37:57 PM »
Hi David

It is Koelreuteria paniculata
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 06:33:42 PM »
Thanks Oran. I've lost count of how many beers I owe you! I'll get some seeds to the MGS seedbank. I saw the trees in a side street that I had never been down before. I must make a note to visit it next year when the trees are in flower. The full length of the street is lined with them and, now that with your help I have seen photos of the flowers, I am sure it will be a spectacular sight :)

I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 06:47:49 PM »
Easy to grow from seed.  A quick grower as well.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 09:46:34 AM »
Just for reference...

It is easy to see one of these Koelreuterias and jump to an ID as K. paniculata.
There is also K. bipinnata
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koelreuteria_bipinnata
This sometimes crops up on the NHM's NaturePlus forum, where I answer all sorts of ID questions.

Mike
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Help with id please - Koelreuteria paniculata by Oron
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 01:56:31 PM »
Mike
There are few differences between the leaves of the two species which are quite easy to tell apart as well as
the shape of the seed pods.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 02:05:23 PM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.