MGS Projects

• 17 Replies

John J

MGS Projects
« on: February 20, 2015, 05:15:09 PM »
I have to admit to being undecided which heading I should place this posting under. If the Moderators don't agree with my final decision perhaps they would be kind enough to rectify it.
One of the stated Aims of the MGS is the promotion of education and information as regards the plant world and flora, and one of the ways that we are attempting to do this is by encouraging schools in our area of influence to include gardening, and general horticulture related activities, into their educational programmes.
What I have posted here are photographs from a Primary School in Cyprus that has created its own small Botanical Garden in an underused part of the school grounds. Obviously not all schools would be able, or may possibly wish, to follow this example but I am using it to illustrate what can be achieved by dedicated, determined individuals. A young, enthusiastic teacher had the initial vision and turned it into a reality with the help of the equally enthusiastic President of the Parents' Association who persuaded various donors to supply the financial wherewithal.
The following photos show; 1. The date of opening and the name of the main donor; 2. A map of the garden; 3&4. Information Boards; 5. The teacher in question and pupils in the garden; 6-10. Assorted shots of the garden.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
Re: MGS Projects
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 11:53:46 AM »
Wonderful John and something to be encouraged. I suspect having an enthusiastic member of staff, willing to embrace the idea is all important......In the small rural comune in which we live we have a "Circolo" aimed at encouraging closer integration between incomers and the local population. We hold events during the year and any money raised goes towards supporting the small local primary school - only about 20 pupils and in danger of perhaps closing....I will make enquiries as to whether any of those involved in it's running would be interested in some small horticultural project - I might be able to sow a tiny seed and with help from the Circolo get something going.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 01:46:22 PM »
As you rightly say, Carole, having at least one enthusiastic member of staff is absolutely essential. I included this school in the Programme of Visits for the AGM 2009 and nominated it to receive the 500 euro MGS Annual donation to a garden in the host country. Not only did the members present vote unanimously for it they also dug into their own pockets and made a voluntary additional donation of 770 euros, an amazingly generous gesture.
If you do try to interest your school then don't hesitate to contact me for any assistance I can give, ideas for projects, useful websites, and so on.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 04:29:46 PM by John J »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 05:10:59 AM »
Let me know how you get on Umbrian and I would be happy to get some cuttings on the go to offset costs. The more the younger generation are involved the better! :) Good luck. Some extension ideas:
1 I am sure we could get a very simple plaque reading something like "Recognised by the Mediterranean Gardening Society" for such gardens which would not require funding from the MGS but would give some kind of "status" to the garden at the same time as providing publicity for the society.
2 Perhaps Chantal could provide surplus seeds to such projects?
3 Future article material for the journal?
4 Inter-country or international competitions for schools with a small prize?
5 Plant exchange programmes?
6 Garden related photographic, painting, drawing competitions?
7 Rome council produce compost. Would such councils be prepared to provide quantities free to state schools?
8 Visiting MGS speakers to schools?
9 Parent's open days to see the benefits of their children's' work
10 Local media interviews

Just a few ideas :-)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 06:28:30 AM »
David, Some good ideas to work with, thank you.
We would need to be careful with regard to your No 1 idea. Any garden given this status would have to meet a certain standard and then have to retain that standard over time, and that would require regular monitoring. Any lowering of standards could reflect badly on the Society.
As for No 3, keep an eye out for the April TMG.
The school mentioned in my earlier posting produced a short DVD (around 15 mins) featuring the children talking about the garden. The teacher also produced a workbook for use in classes, and had a book of recipes printed. These recipes included herbs and other produce grown in the garden and were brought in by the children from their mothers and grandmothers, the title translates roughly as 'Cooking with Mummy'.
The teacher has brought in experts in certain associated fields to talk to the children, eg an entomologist to discuss the insects, good and bad, found in the garden. (Similar to your No 8 idea, David).
The school has a website, www.votanokipos.com. The above DVD is on that site, obviously the children are speaking in Greek but it has English subtitles kindly put on for the benefit of our members attending the 2009 AGM. Click on Video on the Home page to see it.
Thanks again, David, for the ideas, I'll certainly take note of them and, hopefully we can instigate some of them.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 11:00:32 AM »
Hi John,

Just watched the video. Great to see that it was totally the children's show. Will there be a follow up video or something to show us how the garden is 5 years on? It would be good to see if the same children are still involved. I wonder how many of them will go on to be keen gardeners and even professionals in some way connected to gardens and gardening.

As an English teacher, ideas came into my head of some Europe wide project with English as the connecting language. Garden twins, maybe - a bit like cities in different countries twin up? MGS web pages for kids? School membership rates (if they don't already exist, of course)?

Thanks for the link :)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 12:47:45 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it, David. The video was made shortly after the garden was initially planted up, the mature trees were already in place obviously, and the irrigation pipes were still there. These were disconnected after a couple of years as the plants established. It's a Primary School so I assume that those particular children will have moved on to Secondary education by now. Here in Cyprus teachers are not left at the same school all the time, they are moved around every so many years, a bit like being posted from camp to camp in the military, and the young lady who was the driving force behind this garden is no longer at the school. Fortunately, the President of the Parents' Association, the man who gathered together the finances to enable the whole thing to go ahead, is still there and looking after its interests. I haven't been over to the school for a while, it's on my to-do list and I must contact Stelios soon to arrange to meet him there.
I have taken a note of your previous ideas as well as the new ones and will discuss them with my colleagues on the Admin Committee at our next meeting in March. We do have a reduced membership rate for students but not, so far, for schools.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 07:53:04 AM »
Unfortunately I could not get the video link to play - must have another try...however some more good ideas David especially that for a link between schools in Europe, but why not world wide - connecting Mediterranean climate areas as does the MGS? This has made me quite excited because the school I mentioned is under the care of a very enlightened "headmaster" who has looks after several other small schools in rural areas as well as a larger one in the local town this last being classed as an "International School" since it has links with schools in other countries and children exchange letters, 'photos, school project information etc. I visited it a year or so ago when one member of our "Circolo" was doing a series of "fun science" talks and demonstrations  in these schools after an initial one at our local school. This had been so well received that the headmaster in question had heard about it and encouraged him to repeat it at the other schools under his care and invited some of us to vist his main school.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 11:17:06 AM »
Sorry to hear you have had a problem, Carole. I've just tested it out again and clicking on the Video symbol to the right of the Home page brought up the picture with a white triangle in a red square in the centre of the screen. Clicking on this started the video. Hope you have better luck next try.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 01:04:43 PM »
Thanks John - still cannot get it as apparently I do have not have the right "aps" .....anyway plenty to think about and start making enquiries about and if I can get something going will get back to you if I need further help.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 11:14:10 PM »
Hi

I was thinking about Europe because there could be funding available to an organisation like the MGS. I have never asked for EU funding but it can be given for things which promote EU policies. Surely a case could be made for veg gardening/self sufficiency connected to youth development/exchange, youth career development etc? Found this link as a starting point

http://www.welcomeurope.com/european-subsidies-beneficiary-Development+NGOs.htm

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 11:16:36 PM »
Sorry. Link was missing the last "l". This one should work.

http://www.welcomeurope.com/european-subsidies-beneficiary-Development+NGOs.html

John J

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 05:51:34 AM »
Thanks again, David, the link worked, I'll take a closer look at it later.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 06:22:10 AM »
Joint applications to the EU and other bodies might win funding if based on promoting eating (and growing) healthy foods, preserving local food/ veg/ fruit varieties rather than simply gardening. Check out Stephanie Alexander Schools Programme - a bit more productive than Jamie.
 ;)
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

John J

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 09:23:02 AM »
Thanks for that, Trevor, her website is already high on my list of useful sites to be accessed by anyone looking for assistance and/or inspiration in starting something similar of their own. Watch out for the April issue of the TMG for more on the subject.