A red flowering shrub, ID'd by Oron as Erythrina crista-galli

• 7 Replies

ritamax

A red flowering shrub, ID'd by Oron as Erythrina crista-galli
« on: August 17, 2012, 12:37:28 PM »
I saw this red-flowering shrub in the Botanical Garden in Toulouse. It is probably some usual plant, but I don't know it. The photo is unfortunately off focus, sorry for that.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 07:32:23 PM by Alisdair »
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: A red flowering shrub, ID wanted
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 01:57:31 PM »
Rita,
 Erythrina crista-galli that has been cut down to ground level [Might be as a result of very cold weather]. Any way it is a new groth.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 01:59:19 PM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

pamela

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 02:57:16 PM »
It grows very well in the Costa Blanca, Rita.  I can vouch for that.  I have one which is probably 25 years old.  The multi-trunks are attractive and become gnarled and quite enormous with age. After the first flush in May/June they continuously flower through the summer and autumn.  I think (I may be wrong here) that it is the only Erythrina that flowers after the leaves. Cockscomb coral tree!  Recommended!

Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Alice

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 05:14:59 PM »
Beware of the thorns, though. Also, it becomes deformed in strong winds, so avoid planting in exposed sites.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: A red flowering shrub, ID'd by Oron as Erythrina crista-galli
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »
Really interesting to see it growing like that, Rita!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

ritamax

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 09:38:08 PM »
Thank you, I will definitely try to find it, very pretty plant it is!
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 09:50:54 PM »
FYI: we have discussed Erythrina on this forum here.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

ritamax

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 01:08:53 PM »
Oh yes, thank you, Mike, a lot of information there, the other Erythrinas are also interesting, caffra being more drought-tolerant than crista-galli.