Scilla (including Prospero, Hyacinthoides etc)

• 24 Replies

John

Re: Scilla
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 12:06:36 AM »
Ho dear. I have it under this name as it came from Harry Hay and that's what he had it as though of course it could be wrong!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Ina

• Email
Re: Scilla (including Prospero, Hyacinthoides etc)
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 11:47:43 PM »
I had a walk the other day and I came across those little ones. I tried to identify them and I was wondering if they could be Hyacinthus litwinowii or Hyacinthus transcaspicus.
I live in the west of Greece and have a small garden. I love flowers but I have few in my garden. I usually take pictures of flowers when I hike. I started making a blog with the flora that I see on my trips.

ezeiza

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 12:56:05 AM »
The second look like Bellevalia hyacinthoides.

Ina

• Email
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 08:56:51 AM »
thank you!!!
I guess you are right...
I live in the west of Greece and have a small garden. I love flowers but I have few in my garden. I usually take pictures of flowers when I hike. I started making a blog with the flora that I see on my trips.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 10:31:52 AM »
I had a walk the other day and I came across those little ones. I tried to identify them and I was wondering if they could be Hyacinthus litwinowii or Hyacinthus transcaspicus.
I can only echo Alberto,
Although looking different both are Bellevalia hyacinthoides.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:32:03 AM by Alisdair »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

John

White Scilla cilicica
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 10:59:42 AM »
For many years I have grown Scilla cilicica from seed from northern Cyprus. Typically they were dark blue but I had a paler one amongst them. After years of seeding it has produced this white form.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 07:26:36 PM by Alisdair »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 11:55:01 AM »
Very nice John, well done. It's the blue anthers that really set it off.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John

Scilla morrisii
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 11:38:20 AM »
Scilla morrisii from Jim & Jenny Archibald seed collected in the Paphos district of Cyprus has flowered for many year now. It has always been white, at least to the eye. This year despite there being several separate clones in the pot they are all a soft lavender.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 07:26:58 PM by Alisdair »
John

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2012, 01:12:15 PM »
Lovely subtle colour. A temperature effect, do you think?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2012, 01:28:29 PM »
In a frost free greenhouse so probably no difference there this year.
John