Lycoris

• 7 Replies

John

Lycoris
« on: July 16, 2011, 02:26:16 PM »
From the far east Lycoris look very like Nerine. These bulbs too need a dormant season to flower and they can be tricky to get to flower especailly L. radiata. L. aurea on the other hand has flowered every year for me so far. It is a very strong yellow and in the garden might be difficult to place.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 03:17:57 PM by Alisdair »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Lycoris
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 03:50:38 PM »
Lycoris, at least the autumn-flowering species, grow well under mediterranean conditions, needing little or no watering even in long dry summers, and enjoying a hot rest in summer. We have three species in our Greek garden. All three flower at the end of summer, as the ground cools with the first rains. The flowering stems emerge very suddenly from the previously baked ground, growing to flower in a matter of days - the rate of growth is quite spectacular. All these three have increased well in our garden, but we don't get seed (possibly because tidy-minded Eleftheria who looks after the garden in our absence cleans the stalks away when the flowers have faded - I also grow L. aurea under glass in the UK, and do get seed).
Lycoris aurea is as John says a very bright yellow, slightly orange perhaps:
[attachthumb=1]
A gentler yellow, with rather more elegant wavy-edged sepals, is Lycoris shaanxiensis:
[attachthumb=2]
In our mediterranean conditions the good red Lycoris radiata flowers reliably too:
[attachthumb=3]
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 03:52:39 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 07:43:26 PM »
Lycoris aurea in bloom in the garden today

John

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 08:40:34 PM »
Hi, your clone looks slightly more yellow than the one I have. Do you find it flowers regularly or have you not had it for long?
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 08:48:24 PM »
John, only had it for two years and it didn't flower in a pot last year so I planted it in the garden. The first frost will probably kill it.

ezeiza

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 09:02:18 PM »
Michael, you can lift it just before the first frost. It would be a waste letting it die now it has reached flowering size.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 09:47:28 PM »
Folks - check out the photos in the links in Michael's signature - some stunning horticulture and photography!
Michael - thanks for sharing your excellent work!
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England