NOW SOLVED: Guess what this is 11

• 13 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
NOW SOLVED: Guess what this is 11
« on: September 08, 2011, 12:00:37 PM »
About time I contributed something...
This was growing in a sort of mini-botanical garden in Cyprus.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 06:42:59 PM by Alisdair »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

pamela

Re: Guess what this is 11
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 12:49:04 PM »
Lilly Pilly  Acmena smithii ??
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 02:32:23 PM »
No, but (like Acmena) it is native to Australia/Far East
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

JTh

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 05:46:06 PM »
Fagraea berteriana?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 07:59:09 PM »
No, but (like Fagraea) it is an Asterid
Mike

John

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 11:27:36 AM »
I think it's a Boraginaceae and it's probably Cordia myxa?
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 11:44:07 AM »
Well done John - Yes it is Cordia, actually C. dichotoma - you are close enough.

This is a tree I had never seen before, and I can't say it was particularly elegant, but the berries were nice.
Mike

John J

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 03:03:39 PM »
The berries may be nice, Mike, but the use to which they are put is far from it. Cordia myxa is grown in Cyprus almost entirely for these berries as they are used to make the 'glue' that coats the lime sticks that trap the songbirds that are considered such a delicacy when pickled. An illegal activity that, unfortunately, is still quite common and very lucrative.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 05:51:53 PM »
Oh dear; not nice to know, but thanks for the info anyway
Mike

John

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 10:57:29 PM »
I recognised it at least generically because I photographed it on Crete last October though this one was labelled Cordia obliqua.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

John J

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 05:05:55 AM »
I think you'll find that Cordia obliqua is a syn of C. myxa.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 07:35:03 AM »
OK thanks.
John

John J

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 11:55:15 AM »
Just to elaborate a little on the use of Cordia myxa berries in the production of the 'glue' used on lime-sticks here in Cyprus. BirdLife Cyprus estimate that over 89,000 songbirds were caught in mist-nets and on lime-sticks in the first week of September alone. This illegal activity is big business worth over 15 million euros annually with pickled songbirds selling for up to 90 euros a dozen. A very difficult situation for the authorities to deal with when there are certain Members of Parliament openly boasting about how many they can eat at a sitting.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 04:45:39 PM »
They ought to be sprayed with this glue mixed with feathers.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.