Plant of the Day

• 489 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Plant of the Day Justicia carnea
« Reply #165 on: October 23, 2015, 08:45:47 AM »
My Justicia carnea was developing flower buds nicely when along came a cold snap. It is still flowering but I'm sure it would have had much fuller flowers had it not been for the drop in temperature. Still, the flowers are always worth waiting for.  :) First photo was taken yesterday, the second last year.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
Plant of the Day Salvia Anthony Parker
« Reply #166 on: October 24, 2015, 12:17:07 AM »
Thanks to Cindy and Alisdair I was able to find the name of a plant that I had seen in a video shot in Cindy's garden. I managed to track a supplier down in Italy and the first few flowers are coming through now. Salvia 'Anthony Parker'. Thanks again Alisdair for all your help in getting in touch with Cindy. Here is the happy ending (new beginning?)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Joanna Savage

Re: Plant of the Day - Crocus cartwrightianus
« Reply #167 on: October 27, 2015, 02:30:22 PM »
Crocus looking good today. Crocus cartwrightianus
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 07:12:32 AM by Alisdair »

Joanna Savage

Re: Plant of the Day - Crocus goulimyi
« Reply #168 on: October 27, 2015, 02:42:15 PM »
And Crocus goulimyi
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 07:14:05 AM by Alisdair »

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Plant of the Day
« Reply #169 on: October 28, 2015, 07:16:27 AM »
Lovely, Joanna; yesterday we were surprised and pleased to see this in the Garden of Ninfa near Rome, on the MGS tour of gardens in the area following a very enjoyable AGM programme on Ischia
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
Re: Plant of the Day - Autumn-flowering chrysanthemums
« Reply #170 on: October 28, 2015, 09:18:42 AM »
No autumn without this vibrant show of colours at the weekly open-air market here in Halkidiki. I wonder how they manage to grow them into such perfect spheres?

PA161146 Autumn colours.jpg
by Jorun Tharaldsen, on Flickr
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Fermi

• Email
Re: Plant of the Day - Puya chilensis
« Reply #171 on: October 29, 2015, 03:02:11 PM »
This Puya has been growing in our garden for over ten years and finally started to flower just as we were about to leave for a 2 week trip!
However there were still flowers when we got back,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Hilary

« Reply #172 on: October 29, 2015, 08:45:01 PM »
Fermi,
How big is this plant?
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #173 on: November 01, 2015, 11:27:52 AM »
Hi Hilary,
The base of the plant is about 1.5m across at the base as it is made up of a number of rosettes. The flower spike is about 2.5m high,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Charithea

« Reply #174 on: November 01, 2015, 04:24:17 PM »
Hello David, congratulations on getting your Salvia 'Anthony Parker'. I have finally managed to get a 'cutting ' with roots on. On our way back from the MGS AGM,  I was taken to visit the garden of Marcus Mariani in Velletri by Keay Pierconti ,an MGS member. He had some lovely specimens in his garden and when I admired them he offered a cutting. I am also grateful to Keay because she also gave me cuttings of Salvia guaranitica. I think from the two salvias mentioned above  the guaranitica takes the prize for beauty. I have been given a few cuttings of Salvia splendens 'Martinusborg' by Alessandra Vincequerra.  Amazing coloured stems and flowers. I had success in getting cuttings of Clerodendrum ugandense from Alessandra too. What a nice lady she is. She gave me the address of the site of the nursery that grows salvias in Italy because I complained that  I couldn't find specimens
 here in Cyprus. It is Le Essenze Di Lea.  Before I forget I have read the Salvia book you recommended and I now know why I had so many failures last year trying to grow salvias that thrive in cooler climes.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Hibiscus mutabilis
« Reply #175 on: November 02, 2015, 10:18:03 AM »
Have been absent from this thread for a while, away in Italy followed by accumulated paperwork.
This hibiscus opens a virginal white in the morning before blushing pink and ending its life a deep scarlet in the evening. An untidy tree it's difficult to control as the flowers are produced at the end of the branches so injudicious pruning leads to a loss of blooms.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

JTh

• Email
« Reply #176 on: November 02, 2015, 10:42:16 AM »
I suppose this is hardier than Hibiscus rosa-sinensis?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John J

« Reply #177 on: November 02, 2015, 12:30:54 PM »
I would say so, Jorun, as it is deciduous. One of its common names is Confederate Rose as it grows well in the confederate states of America apparently, where it is said to sometimes die back to the ground following frost, only to regrow in the spring. As we very rarely get a frost here I can't vouch for this.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Pittosporum tobira
« Reply #178 on: November 03, 2015, 06:18:05 PM »
Not mine but in the gardens of La Mortella on Ischia. An excellent, versatile shrub. Can be grown as a standard or as a hedge, it takes being cut back without flinching. The flowers are very fragrant, not for nothing is it called Japanese Mock Orange. Evergreen and even the seed pods are ornamental.

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Salvia splendens 'Martinus Borg'
« Reply #179 on: November 04, 2015, 05:35:09 AM »
Seen in the gardens of La Mortella, Ischia.