May wreath

• 55 Replies

John J

May wreath
« on: May 01, 2013, 11:24:08 AM »
This year's May wreath made by my wife with assistance from 2 year old granddaughter, she helped collect the flowers.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
Re: May wreath
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 12:52:06 PM »
Beautiful John. We don't seem to have that tradition here - perhaps I should try to start it? Plenty of lovely flowers at the moment to use.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Hilary

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 01:36:34 PM »
Lovely May wreath.
I noticed some already on the doors last week in Sparta.
Now it is too hot to go out to make ours.
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

pamela

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 06:19:36 PM »
Thats a lovely tradition you have in your part of the world!  I remember seeing a photo of one some years ago made (I think) by Cali Doxiadis!  This is just as beautiful! 
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Alice

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 09:11:33 PM »
Really lovely, John. Your wife must be very talented. Do you provide the flowers?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

John J

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 10:37:27 AM »
The composition of the wreath each year depends on what is in flower in the garden on May 1st, Alice.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Hilary

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 02:57:15 PM »
Better late than never.
Our May Wreath.
Also collected enough Sea lavender from Posidonia, where it grows in abundance, to make this ball.
MGS member

John J

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 07:23:10 AM »
This year's May wreath. Due to the very dry winter we've had the majority of the usual spring flowers have been and gone leaving little to choose from. That's why it consists mostly of Bauhinia variegata.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 07:46:26 AM »
"Little to choose from" indeed - what a glorious mix, I wish we had anything like that rich choice here in (damp and grey today) Sussex, England!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Hilary

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 01:48:45 PM »
Mostly wild flowers collected at the Isthmus, Corinthia
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 04:17:30 PM »
On the gate of the archeological site of Nemea
MGS member

John J

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 10:59:41 AM »
May wreath time again. All flowers from the garden.

Hilary

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 07:28:01 PM »
Our somewhat lopsided May Wreath.
All flowers from near the sea and the Ancient Port of Lechaion
MGS member

JTh

• Email
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 08:26:02 PM »
And a slightly messy one made from wildflowers picked under our olive trees

P5010790 Πρωτομαγιά_1 of May.jpg
by JorunT, on Flickr
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John J

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2015, 01:21:05 PM »
My wife says I should have provided a list of the flowers used in her May wreath, but as I have a rather more devious nature I thought that maybe it could be made into a sort of quiz to see who is able to identify the most. The only clue I will give is that I have counted 23.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 03:14:00 PM by John J »