Helichrysum tentatively IDd by Oron as Helichrysum cymosum subsp. cymosum

• 11 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
At Nassos Ktorides' garden at Delikipos near Nicosia, Cyprus (MGS visit), we noticed this low spreading plant, thought by Yiannos to be a Helichrysum, but we didn't know the species. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 09:32:19 AM by MikeHardman »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Helichrysum sp......
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 05:15:16 PM »
Mike can you make a closeup?
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 07:49:58 AM »
Oron, I can't re-visit the plant. The best I can do is give you a blow-up of part of the same photo - hope this helps.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 10:31:56 AM »
That is a difficult one...I'll try to come up with an answer.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 08:29:29 PM »
Sally and I are also waiting for an identification of this plant. We just can't find it anywhere.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 08:49:14 AM »
It looks rather like Helichrysum conglobatum, and as that does hybridise with other species I wonder whether it might be a hybrid with that.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 09:48:39 AM »
That's a thought, Alisdair.
And it prompts me to point out that it is only a few cm high.
Mike

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 10:09:39 AM »
Not H. conglobatum This is a spreading groundcover. You saw it in my garden, Alisdair - I've left a bit of the house in the photo so that you understand where it is. I don't think it's Greek.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 06:34:10 PM »
Yes I remember now, Helena and I rather coveted it, didn't we! It's certainly shorter than conglobatum.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 05:47:56 AM »
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 06:14:51 AM by oron peri »

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 08:10:33 AM »
Ooh I think that looks very likely, Oron - thank you.
Interesting to read 'subshrub up to 1 m tall'; I guess I could believe that of the plant I saw, given time and allowed to sprawl over itself and other subshrubs.
Mike

John

H. conglobatum is a Greek native and it is very common on Crete. It doesn't look like this species. I'm agreeing with you, probably a South African.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 04:01:08 PM by John »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.