What is it 80? Now solved!

• 18 Replies

John J

What is it 80? Now solved!
« on: February 12, 2016, 06:08:27 AM »
We haven't had one of these for a while. Probably not difficult but here goes.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 10:30:05 AM by Alisdair »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

JTh

• Email
Re: What is it 80?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 03:24:25 PM »
Lupine?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John J

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 03:57:12 PM »
Sorry, Jorun, but no.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 07:02:48 AM »
An Iris of some kind?
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 07:26:24 AM »
Good heavens, no! ;)

Joanna Savage

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 09:06:40 AM »
Sweet Pea

Hilary

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 01:03:26 PM »
Salvia patens Blue Angel
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

John J

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 01:31:12 PM »
Oh dear! proving more difficult than I thought. Way off the mark, I'm afraid, ladies, although if I wanted to be really nasty and cryptic I could make a very tenuous connection with the fact that angels have wings...... :-\

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 01:38:14 PM »
but so do birds  ;)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Hilary

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 02:02:44 PM »
Tetragonolobus purpureus

Winged pea
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

John J

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 04:06:22 PM »
Nice try, Hilary, but still way off. Stick with Alisdair's flight of fancy.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 05:16:38 PM »
The colours could be of a bird of paradise flower, Strelitzia reginae, but the shape?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John J

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 06:26:23 AM »
Well spotted, Jorun. As for the shape, it's merely an ultra close-up.

JTh

• Email
Re: What is it 80? Now solved!
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 10:35:52 AM »
Thanks to a lot of hints from you, John.

John J

Re: What is it 80? Now solved!
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2016, 11:15:12 AM »
Not to mention Alisdair's comment about birds, wink, wink!