What is this 52? NOW SOLVED

• 9 Replies

John J

What is this 52? NOW SOLVED
« on: October 08, 2013, 03:09:40 PM »
Yet another plant that I have recently discovered has undergone a name change from the one that I know it by. Obviously a daisy of some kind, but which one?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 07:30:08 AM by Alisdair »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alice

Re: What is this 52?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 08:03:47 AM »
Senecio cineraria (Jacobaea maritima)?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

John J

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 10:55:43 AM »
Sorry, no.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alice

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 06:52:41 PM »
Brachyglottis?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

John J

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 07:31:05 PM »
Still no, I'm afraid, Alice. I think maybe we could have some fun with this one before giving away too many easy clues. Like many plants one of its common names places it entirely on the opposite side of the world to its point of origin.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 08:08:36 PM »
Could it be Pallenis maritima (syn. Asteriscus maritimus), yellow sea aster?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John J

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 05:02:09 AM »
No, Jorun, but it's probably an equally good ground cover.

Alice

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 07:06:09 AM »
Wedelia trilobata /Sphagneticola trilobata, Singapore daisy?

John J

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 11:08:16 AM »
Alice, you spoilsport! I had all sorts of clues lined up involving Sir Stamford Raffles and the fact that he was born in the Carribean, where this plant originates from, and he founded Singapore, one of its common names being as you rightly say Singapore daisy. I haven't been able to figure out the connection there I must admit. If anyone knows I'd love to be enlightened.

Alice

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 07:12:27 PM »
Oh dear, oh dear. You will have to get those little grey cells working again, John, to think up clues for your next quiz.