What is this 48? Now solved!

• 10 Replies

John J

What is this 48? Now solved!
« on: July 27, 2013, 08:04:19 AM »
It seems to have been a while since the last 'What is this?' was posted so maybe it's time for a new one. Something to exercise the mind on those long, hot, lazy afternoons perhaps, then again maybe it won't be too taxing.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 07:42:57 AM by Alisdair »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: What is this 48?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 09:22:42 AM »
Do you create crossword puzzles too, John?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
Begonia ....................
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

John J

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 09:38:45 AM »
Unfortunately not, Alisdair, I have enough trouble trying to solve them!
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 09:41:07 AM »
Sorry, David, I think our postings sort of crossed there, but no, I'm afraid, way off.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 11:10:54 PM »
Hedychium maybe one of the new hybrids TARA?
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Alice

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 12:18:16 AM »
I thought I'd indulge in a little quiz bashing but suspect that Trevor has reached the correct answer. Hedychium coccineum 'tara'?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 12:20:01 AM by Alice »
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

John J

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 05:26:17 AM »
That didn't last long! You guys are getting too good at this. The first of the season just beginning to open.

Trevor Australis

Re: What is this 48? Now solved!
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 04:58:38 AM »
 ;D Well, I did at first think Masdevallia orchid.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 08:30:21 AM by Alisdair »
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

John J

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 08:35:38 AM »
Now fully open and glowing in the morning sun atop a 2 metre tall spike.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 08:46:24 AM »
That's a real wow, John!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society