What is this (number unknown)?

• 15 Replies

John J

What is this (number unknown)?
« on: September 07, 2012, 03:27:23 PM »
This morning while on my way to the petrol station I passed the local florist's shop. Outside on the pavement (or should that be sidewalk?) I spotted a plant that I had never seen before on the island, or for that matter ever expected to see. Fortunately I happened to have my camera in the car and took a swift piccy, hence the poor quality, at least that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! Instead of just posting the photo I thought maybe we could have a bit of fun with it and see if anyone recognised it. The first, rather vague, clue is already there.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

JTh

• Email
Re: What is this (number unknown)?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 05:34:09 PM »
Orchid?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John J

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 04:22:15 AM »
Sorry, Jorun.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alice

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 12:05:25 PM »
Initially I didn't think it was an orchid, then I thought it was, then I thought it wasn't, then I thought it was...
You are a horrible tormentor, John!
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 05:19:23 PM »
Looks like a iris.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

John J

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 05:57:54 PM »
Sorry, David, not an iris.
Alice, I was counting on you to get involved! The fact that I was surprised to see this plant in Cyprus indicates that it is not your typical, drought-tolerant, Mediterranean-type, so where could I have come across it before? In other words, where have I been?

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 07:02:02 PM »
------- a------------  ::)
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Alice

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 07:06:31 PM »
John, even though I have spent ages staring at it (to the extent that my husband is threatening to have a word with you!) I am well and truly foxed.
I was considering:
1. North American ("sidewalk" being a clue perhaps)
2. Tropical/subtropical (flashy/fleshy flower)
3. Labiatae/Scrophulariaceae/Plantaginaceae - from the flower shape. Not right but the closest I could get. Iris had also crossed my mind, as the lower lip looks like an iris fall; also orchid, but you said it was neither of these.
I will now consider your hint "where have I been?"
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 10:29:45 PM »
So, maybe something from Singapore/Malaysia, where you wrote that you have stayed before, but this does not help much.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John J

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 05:04:07 AM »
I should have known it wouldn't fool Oron for long! He is a bulb expert and it does come into this category as defined by this forum.
Alice, 1. I have never been to North America; 2. gets a tick; 3. doesn't.
Jorun, well done, you've obviously been paying attention but broaden your scope to the SE Asia area.
Perhaps another picture would spice things up a bit?

Joanna Savage

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 06:44:52 AM »
Ginger, Hedychium, Alpinia, Curcuma?

John J

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 08:56:28 AM »
Spot on with the family, Joanna, and one of the 4 is correct. Would you like to narrow it down to which one?

JTh

• Email
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 09:03:50 AM »
Curcuma alismatifolia or C. aeruginosa?

Alice

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 10:12:49 AM »
I had Curcuma alismatifolia on my list to check today (along with many others, I may add) but Jorun has beaten me to it. Well done!

JTh

• Email
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 10:15:12 AM »
You did most of the work, Alice